Go Back   Chevy Spark Owners Forum > Chevrolet Spark: Main > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #1

Default New member, about to buy a 2014 Spark

Hi, my name is Bob. I am known as Big Bob because I weigh 280 pounds. I am currently driving a 2001 Chevy Malibu, and it is on it's last legs with 217,000 miles on it. I bought it used with 98,000 miles, and have had good luck with it for the most part, but it is just starting to wear out. So I had to decide whether to buy another used car, or an inexpensive new car. I decided to go with a new car. My choice came down to the Spark or the Nissan Versa. I'm an American car guy, and the Spark seems to be the best of the two. Considering my size, it is surprisingly comfortable. I want the base model with the manual transmission (I don't care for CVT transmissions)

I have a few questions based on rumors I've heard. This car will mostly be for commuting, but it also needs to be capable of long distance highway trips as well, at speeds of at least 65 mph. I have seen many Sparks on the freeway going faster than that, but everybody tells me it is a "city car" and wouldn't last long on the freeway. I am a professional mechanic, and always over maintain my cars. I am expecting to get at least 200,000 miles out of it. Is that realistic? I got 240,000+ miles out of an '88 Suzuki Samurai.

I have also heard that there are issues with the manual transmission. Is there anything to that, or was it just first year models? I know the 2013 models were available with a real automatic transmission, and everybody told me that was the one to get. But when they switched to the CVT, I lost interest in the automatic. I have driven stick shift cars and trucks most of my life (I'm 54) and that is not a problem, if there are no serious issues with it.

And third, is the Spark a reliable car in general? I am far more interested in reliability than ride quality, engine and tire noise, and luxury. I want a car that will take me where I want to go without breaking down.

I guess I will leave it at that for now. A bit much for a first post I know. I would appreciate any and all information anyone can give me. Thanks, Bob.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote